Survivors Must Contact FEMA To Keep Temporary Housing Assistance

TRENTON, N.J. – If you received temporary housing assistance from the Federal Emergency Management Agency and continue to have a housing need, you must fill out an important form for additional short-term rental assistance.

FEMA mails all applicants who receive temporary rental assistance the “Declaration for Continuing Need for Rental Assistance” form. It reaffirms that applicants have an ongoing need for temporary housing while they search for a permanent place to live.
  • This form is mailed 15 days after applicants receive their initial rental assistance grant.
  • Applicants who need additional rental assistance must complete the form and mail it back to FEMA at the address printed on the form.
  • If you don’t have the form, or have questions about temporary housing assistance, contact FEMA’s toll-free helpline by phone or 711/VRS at1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or TTY 1-800-462-7585.
FEMA rental assistance lasts for a short-term period, so it’s important for survivors to have a permanent housing plan. Returning to a permanent home is a significant milestone on the road to recovery.

FEMA’s Individuals and Household Program may provide grants for temporary housing assistance, as well as medical, dental and funeral expenses, which do not require processing through the Small Business Administration (SBA) disaster loan process. However, applicants who receive an SBA loan application must submit them to SBA for possible consideration for assistance that covers personal property, vehicle repair or replacement, and moving and storage.

Popular posts from this blog